Monday, October 30, 2006

30.10.2006

Today in a taxi the taxi driver, like they always do, chatted me up... and we got to the "let's complain about life" part - that tends to be the mid story of almost all taxi drivers - after he complained that he tried to bribe a police officer with 10 levs (apparently the fine was more than 10 levs it seems; 2 levs (BGN) = 1 euro). The officer didn't accept, his clients told him he should have offered 20 instead. The story cut short, however you look at it the driver was at fault, and well done to teh officer for not accepting the bribe, no sympathy whatsoever for the driver, in this mad driving full with wanna-be drivers city.

So the cab driver says 20 levs was too much for him, as he gets for the night shift around 30-35 levs profit, and he got a family to feed at home, needs to save something. Here I nod my head, and after some pause of understanding (no I don't have kids to feed), I try to get my side of it to him. I say that about 3 times, if not more I was refused by drivers to take me where I wanted, true in 2 cases as I recall, 1 for certain, the distance was rather close, but I was in a hurry, perhaps ready to tip them more generously. But those ^%%$#D&S$%$# greedy "bakshishi" (as they are often called here) don't even bother. With rather rude tone I'm refused. Why? Because they are reading a newpaper, book, whatever, on the top of it there are other cabs lining up, and it means because I chose them, they have the possibility to gain an advantage against the competition, little, but nevertheless an advantage! On the top of it there is an initial fee, as it is common, if not universal, any/every-where else...

Sooo... indirectly I'm trying to figure out why taxi drivers complain, when they refuses to make some money, yes little money is still $$$$$! The driver replies in that case clients perhaps have the rights to complain, and tells me a story how he once queued up at the coach station for 30 mins to get someone who was going really nearby. I think taxi drivers should deffinitely have the right to refuse passengers, but if they do STFU and cut some of the complaints how misery of life is always after you, as you refuse passengers, take the consequences that follow. Afterall its the paying passangers who should have the last word, especially if they are happy and satisfied or not!!!

That cab today, all others who refused me before, and the one where I dropped my mobile phone - later to disappear mysteriously, most likely in the hands or pocket of the driver (&*%#$###@!!!) - are of the same "prestigious", biggest Bulgarian taxi company. Enough said about OK Supertrans...

Tomorrow I'm planning to go to the Southeastern Europe Economic Forum thats taking place in the National Palace of Culture in Sofia. The topics are interesting and cover problems (as written on the schedule) that are of actual importance not only for the 2 will-be members of EU, but as well of an importance for some of the Central European countries, at least so in my opinion... I'll find out more tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Website Counter
_